Food is the Forgotten Medicine (c)
Fermented foods are an everyday part of my diet…I make homemade sauerkraut, kefir and this kombucha tea drink everyday. I wanted to share my method with you to hopefully explain in simple terms how to make fermented wonder foods part of your every day!
These additions to a healthy diet can be SO simple to make and blast all your pro-biotic yoghurt based drinks out of the park in terms of GOOD bacteria!
Kombucha Tea Drink
You will need;
- Bottled mineral water – x 2 litres
- Organic black loose leaf tea (you can use organic tea bags if you like, must be black) x 4
- Organic sugar x 1 cup
- X1 SCOBY (I can give you this if you’re on one of my plans or you can order from a reputable company online)
How to do it;
- Boil half the mineral water and add to the sugar and tea in a ceramic bowl to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the cool mineral water and leave until completely cool.
- Strain out the tea or tea bags using a PLASTIC (BPA free) sieve. (Kombucha does’t like metal at any stage of the process).
- Add your Kombucha to a clean sterilised jar with your SCOBY. Do not seal completely but drape a clean tea towel or muslin cloth over it to protect from bacteria. Store in a warm place away from direct sunlight. Kombucha does not like cold!
- Your Kombucha is ready full of probiotics in 5days but in terms of your own personal taste, the longer you leave it the stronger tasting the brew will be! You can keep it on the counter or in the fridge after it’s reached your desired taste.
The main benefits of this tasty elixir as well as it being JAM PACKED full of ANTIOXIDANTS are vast;
1. It contains TONNES of probiotics
2. It can alkalize the body to balance your internal pH
3. It detoxes the liver
4. It will increase metabolism, improve digestion and keep you regular!
5. It can rebuild connective tissue – help with arthritis, gout, asthma, rheumatism
6. Reduce blood pressure
7. Relieves headaches & migraines
8. Heal eczema – can be applied directly to the skin
9. Help clear up candida, yeast infections & group strep b in pregnancy
10. Help with healthy cell regeneration
Have fun real food warriors!!