Food, the forgotten medicine (c)
We LOVE Kefir in our house! In terms of fermented and pro-biotic wonder foods it’s an absolute WINNER with trillions, that’s right trillions of tiny GOOD bacteria to help keep your gut healthy.
Read more on the science and benefits here
Since our son was born, my partner drinks it every day and we’re confident it is strengthening his digestive system through her nursing him.
We’re planning to offer him some too once he’s old enough!
It’s one of the easiest fermented foods to make (promise) … so much so you can do it in 5 steps…
Here’s what you need…
- Kefir grains
- Organic whole or Raw Milk if you can get it from a trusted source.
- A plastic sieve
- A glass mason jar
Here’s what to do…
Depending on how strong you like the taste of your kefir you can choose how much milk to add to your grains. I’m currently working with a x5 grains (*) to 1 pint of milk ratio.
- Rinse the grains in a little of the milk through your sieve if you’ve been ‘hibernating’ (**) them or they’ve just arrived.
- Add your milk to the kefir grains in a mason jar
- Take to your nearest warm spot (we use the airing cupboard)
- Leave for between 12-18 hours popping the top and shaking once
- Open, sieve, chill and serve!
If you give it a go I’d love to know how you get on… you can contact me via my facebook page.
(*) Kefir grains will multiply the more you feed them… you can read more here
(**) You can hibernate your kefir grains in the fridge in a little milk if you need a little holiday from them.